2011 SAB Award Winning Project - False Creek Energy Centre
The False Creek Energy Centre [FCEC] is an innovative heating plant that produces domestic hot water and space heating for the Neighbourhood Energy Utility [NEU] that serves Vancouver’s emerging South East False Creek community.
Jury Comments: This is an atypical project in that it contains important city infrastructure that is also educational for the public and playful in the artful presentation of the smokestacks. Located in the centre of Vancouver, the project represents the future of sustainable cities in which renewable energy neighbourhood heating systems are housed in beautiful, understated buildings that help local citizens understand and connect with the energy sources that heat their homes.
Located under the south end of Cambie Street Bridge, the FCEC houses two facilities – a sewage pump station serving the greater neighbourhood, and a sewage heat recovery and distribution system. Two thirds of the building and most of the mechanical equipment is underground to reduce its visual impact and to minimize noise transmission to its existing and future residential neighbours.
Although the building itself is invisible to bridge commuters, its presence is announced by a set of five emissions stacks that rise above road level as a sculptural public art piece. These stacks serve the high efficiency, low emission gas boilers that are used to meet peak energy demands. The stacks are topped with fingernail-like LED luminaires that change colour from blue through orange to red relative to the heat output of the plant.
As the showpiece of the City’s greenhouse gas emission reduction program, FCEC has been designed to put its inner workings on public display. Accordingly, the technology used in the facility is exposed to view by generous glazing and view portals placed around the building.
FOR MORE ON THIS PROJECT: http://www.sabmagazine.com/blog/2010/10/06/false-creek-energy-centre/
- Architect Walter Francl Architecture, Vancouver
- Prime Consultant Ausenco Sandwell, Vancouver
- Public Art/Stack Design Pechet and Robb Art and Architecture Ltd, Vancouver
- Owner/Developer City of Vancouver, Vancouver
- General Contractor Westpro Construction Group Ltd, Surrey, BC
- Landscape Architect Eckford + Associates Landscape Architecture Inc, Vancouver
- Electrical Engineer Ausenco Sandwell, Vancouver
- Mechanical Engineer Ausenco Sandwell, Vancouver
- Geotechnical & Environmenta l EBA Engineering Consulting Ltd
- Pump Station Omni Engineering Inc, North Vancouver
- Building Envelope RDH Group, Vancouver
- Building Mechanical Versacon Consultants Inc, North Vancouver
- Acoustical Brown Strachan, Vancouver
- Air Quality Modelling Levelton Consultants, Richmond, BC
- Photos Kristopher Grunert, Vancouver
- - Energy intensity: 843 MJ/m2/year [Includes both base building and process energy]
- - Local materials by value: 45%
- - Recycled materials content by value: 35%
- - Water consumption from municipal source : 8,212 litres/occupant/year [Includes both base building and process energy]